Tuesday, October 26, 2010





 "Pole" Poster

When I did this poster initially, I had looked at a very abstract idea of interconnection within my neighborhood of Southmoreland using the telephone poles.  I knew what I was talking about, but noone else really did, which indicated to me that this was an idea that I was wrong or at least was only my personal impression of the neighborhood and not something I could express well to others.  

The rigid pole was interesting otherwise composition-ally, and I wanted to keep pushing that idea, but to convey something else. The texture of the pole and its worn quality was something I found to be true of the rest of the neighborhood as well in its buildings and textures.  Southmoreland had been gradually worn by its inhabitants into something textured and intimate, but still feeling solid and rigid.

My mistakes and mishaps had created a great deal of process in the creation of this worn feel.  I'm relatively new to photography, and most of my pictures were somewhat blurred and even more so blown up to poster size.  I learned how to correctly take pictures from lecture...but I wasn't able to.  I have terrible luck with cameras apparently.  I had misplaced, somehow broke and had my camera taked away at almost every critical state, making my picture taking process nightmarish.  I chose instead to crank up the contrast and grit of the photo of the pole to remove the blurriness and get the texture I wanted.  I feel I have succeeded

The central mass of the pole had stayed the focus throughout the entire process, but in the end I decided to zoom in and really bring in the weight of the pole and make it overwhelmingly dominant.  the line study was changed from a progressive line study to its direct descendant as a complex from the partner binder.  This allowed easier integration of the vertically oriented text and to contrast from the solidness of the pole.





"Slant" Poster

This was the poster with many different changes involved in its design.  When it started, I was playing off the pairings square form but extending the diagonal lines away from it and it produced a modern feel of sleekness fairly well.  But only "fairly" well.  There was something missing that I couldn't quite put my finger on at the time.  From listening to my classmates and my instructor's comments I figured it out: It needed mass.  

The extensions were going dynamically across the page, but the compostion floated in the center of the poster, looking amateur and boring to my eyes.  I eventually did away with the line extensions and used the images themselves to take up the space of the composition. This allowed the movement to show through like I wanted it too, but also created a sense of stability and visual weight withing the piece.  

The pictures themselves changes little, (vectorization of the projection was it), but the positioning of the pictures themselves changed greatly as stated above.  I also altered the scales of the pictures to be different from one another.  The asymmetry was made much more of a key factor as well, when before it was simply there and even seem to detract from what might of been better if it was symmetrical.

Overall, this was very successful in producing the sleek modernness of Southmoreland's more artsy buildings

No comments:

Post a Comment